Thank you for your interest in joining Team Burgundy! Current open opportunities are detailed below.
Burgundy Farm Country Day School is a progressive school on a pastoral 26-acre campus near Alexandria, Virginia, serving 265 children from age 4 through grade 8. Burgundy believes children learn best in an inclusive, creative and nurturing environment that engages the whole child. Our innovative, hands-on approach to education cultivates independent thinking, promotes academic excellence, instills respect for diversity, and teaches responsibility for self, for others, and for the natural world.
Burgundy Farm Country Day School actively maintains its commitment to equal opportunity for all employees. To fulfill this commitment, we recruit, hire, promote, and retain individuals in all job titles without regard to race, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions), religion, age, national origin, sexual orientation, military status, or disability.
Burgundy’s Extended Day program offers academic enrichment and activities before and after the school day, as well as occasional weekdays when class is not in session.
Under the direct supervision of the Director of Auxiliary Services the Extended Day Educators (EDE) create a welcoming and supportive afterschool environment for Burgundy Farm Country Day School students so that they may enjoy their afternoons and continue school day success. The EDE will help develop, implement, and supervise age-appropriate educational and recreational activities that support our students physically, mentally and emotionally.
Schedule: Part time, Monday through Friday, 2-6 p.m.
*Some programs may require longer days, later nights and weekend work
Salary: competitive hourly wage
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
A. Work as a productive member of a team of educators;
B. Help create and provide a positive, nurturing, supportive, and caring environment for all Burgundy Farm Country Day School students so that they may succeed and achieve;
C. Adhere to all policies and procedures as set forth by the Director of Auxiliary services and the Burgundy administration;
D. Exert a positive influence and model appropriate behavior for all students;
E. Actively plan, prepare, implement and supervise all activities;
F. Create educational and recreational lesson plans to be presented to Extended Day students;
G. Lead organized activities for students to develop and strengthen their academic, physical, and social skills;
H. Monitor and supervise all students enrolled in the before and after school program during all aspects of the day to create a safe, secure, and positive environment;
I. Implement appropriate and effective classroom management techniques in accordance with the practices of Burgundy Farm Country Day School;
J. Participate in the cleaning and maintaining of all facilities and equipment, including daily opening and closing duties;
K. Constantly inspect the school site and equipment for potential safety hazards or concerns, reporting all issues to the Extended Day Lead Educator and following through with appropriate corrective action;
L. Interact professionally and appropriately with all students, parents, faculty, and staff, maintaining a high level of communication with all members of the Burgundy community;
M. Participate in weekly Extended Day staff meetings, faculty and staff meetings (when possible), and ongoing professional development opportunities;
N. Comply with Burgundy Farm Country Day school policies and procedures and at all times represent the Extended Day program and the school in a positive and professional manner;
O. Other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Extended Day Lead Educator and the Director of Auxiliary Services.
Additional programs that fall under the EDE position:
- Providing childcare for school events that take place after hours
- Providing childcare for days that classes are not in session, such as teacher in-service days and Parent/Teacher conferences
- Participating in break camps such as Spring Break Camp and Gap Camp (full day schedule)
The qualified candidate will have:
- A high school diploma or GED (not required, high school students 16 years or older will be considered)
- Meaningful experience working with children
- A strong commitment to education and the betterment of young students
- Strong communication, organization, and team-building skills
- Desire to learn and grow as an educator
- First Aid and CPR/AED certification
How to Apply:
Please submit a letter of interest and resume to Hugh Squire, Director of Auxiliary Services, firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.
Burgundy actively maintains its commitment to equal opportunity for all employees. To fulfill this commitment, the school recruits, hires, promotes, and retains individuals in all job titles without regard to race, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), religion, age, national origin, sexual orientation, military status, or disability.
Category (Administration/Faculty/Staff): Staff
Reports to: Director of Advancement
Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA): Non-Exempt
We are currently seeking a Special Events and Outreach Coordinator who will have two main responsibilities: the planning and execution of Burgundy’s two major community building/fundraising events — the Fall Fair and the Auction — and marketing and outreach to enhance and support our enrollment and admission.
The events role involves detailed and extensive planning along with the management of a large team of volunteers throughout the year. The successful candidate will be personable, organized, creative, motivated, flexible, and a team player.
The outreach role focuses on growing awareness of Burgundy in the greater community to support applications and enrollment goals, including increasing student diversity.
Burgundy is founded on the belief that diversity enriches learning and a diverse community benefits everyone. The successful candidate will help identify and implement outreach efforts to prospective students and families, feeder schools, community and professional groups and partners in the greater Alexandria area. He or she will be responsible for identifying and developing new relationships as well as maintaining existing relationships within the Burgundy community.
Experience in a progressive school and interest in working in an environment that promotes social justice are preferred.
Special Events Coordination
- Support and work as a team member with Advancement personnel in implementing departmental and school goals
- Engage with and lead parent and alumni volunteers in the successful planning of the Fall Fair and Auction
- Coordinate with Burgundy support staff to ensure that each event runs smoothly and in a well-organized fashion
- Secure items, donations, and sponsorships from local businesses and the Burgundy community for the Fall Fair and the Auction
- Develop the Auction catalog in print and online
- Steward and thank all donors and volunteers to show appreciation for their time and generosity
- Work within specified budgets and maintain excellent records.
- Report regularly and proactively on event planning progress and volunteer engagement to the Advancement Director
- Collect feedback from volunteers and staff after the completion of each event
- Other duties as assigned
- Work with the Directors of Advancement and Admission, the Communications Manager, the Head of School, and market research firms to create and implement an Outreach and Recruitment Plan outlining clear strategies for targeting diverse groups of students.
- Assist Director of Admission in building, managing, enhancing, and maintaining relationships with preschools, educational counselors/consultants, community, and professional groups and organizations leading to greater interest in the Burgundy admission process
- Attend school fairs and help manage Burgundy-hosted outreach and cultivation events
- Support the Communications Manager with the evolution and upkeep of Burgundy’s website, social media, targeted publications, and marketing material
- Maintain tracking, project management, and benchmarking information on outreach and recruitment
- Other duties as assigned
All interested applicants should send their resume, cover letter, and references to Matt Sahlin, Director of Advancement, at email@example.com.